The biggest bottleneck for startups is proper customer acquisition. Search engine optimization is often the most overlooked method, but still, the most efficient way to gain high-value customers. This article helps you to choose the best SEO tools for your startup.
Why Every Startup Need SEO Tools?
Search engine optimization is often one of the most overlooked customer acquisition methods. Still, it’s also might be the most valuable traffic for you. Let me tell you why:
Search engine traffic is high purchase-intent traffic!
What Is the Best SEO Tool for Your Needs?
First, you should always ask yourself what you are looking to achieve. Arguably in 95% of all cases, companies lack a proper SEO strategy and implementation. The proper way to do SEO is to start finding proper keywords that your users are searching for, e.g. keyword analysis.
This is where SEO tools step in.
By using the top SEO softwares you can easily figure out what you should do and what you are missing. Search engine optimization is definitely not easy, but by using the best tools you can learn how to do it all by yourself, or just outsource it for a Startup SEO consultant.
In case your company is going to do it in-house, having an SEO tool is a must.
Top SEO Tools for Startups
SEMrush is arguably the most used tool by SEO professionals. It helps to analyze competitors and their content, but is also gives users specific metrics and information on how to improve users’ own website performance.
SEMrush is widely used for SEO purposes, but it also has great tools to improve your paid advertising campaigns. SEO-wise, SEMrush is a top-notch tool to do keyword reseach, analyse backlinks, analyse SEO, and much more.
- SEO Research – With SEO research tool, you are able to analyse you website’s top SEO keywords and spy your competitors. It also allows you to extensively track your SEO work and its results.
- Backlink analysis – Backlinks are one of the most important elements of SEO. With SEMrush’s backlink analysis tool, you can easily stay on track of your backlink profile. This tool allows you to analyze used anchor texts, top-level domain distribution, and much more. This feature is pure gold since you can also analyze your competitors’ backlink profiles.
- Traffic Research – Traffic research helps you to analyze your total website traffic and get a better understanding what are your growth bottle necks.
SEMrush has three different plans. The Pro plan costs $99,95 per month, which is in most cases enough for freelancers, startups and in-house marketers. More advanced plans might be needed only in case you run a larger business or an agency with multiple clients.
In case you are too busy to skim all of these tools through, SEMrush would definitely be the tool to choose, if I would need to choose only one tool. Once you try it, you won’t regret it. The value you get by using it is tremendous and it’s really worth the money.
Ahrefs is another “All-in-one” SEO tool that competes with SEMrush. It’s very easy to use and has very similar features compared to SEMrush. Ahrefs is mostly used for website audits, competitor analyzing and keyword research.
- Keyword finder – Research profitable keywords with ease
- Rank history – Find historical ranking data of specific pages
- Backlink audit – Auditing tool helps you to easily audit your own or competitors’ website backlinks
Ahrefs offers four paid plans. The Lite version starts from $99 per month. You can easily test their software for 7 days for $7.
Moz is well-known industry leader in digital marketing industry. They offer SEO tools that help you to audit websites, backlinks and do keyword researching. Moz doesn’t only have a software but also a browser extension that makes it easy to check websites Domain Authority rankings.
- Rank tracker – Track and analyze your organic google rankings
- Keyword research tool – Find profitable keywords easily
- Backlink analyzer – Analyze your or competitors’ backlink profiles
- Site auditing tool – Check your website to find any crawling or SEO issues
Moz has a 30-day free trial, which is definitely worth to use. They offer four different paid plans. The standard plan starts from $99 per month.
SpyFu is designed to find the best SEO and PPC keywords for you or used by your competitors. The best part of it is that it also shows all paid advertising campaigns that are run by your competitors. SpyFu would fit perfectly for your needs, in case you are not comfortable with SEMrush’s pricing. SpyFu is much more affordable but still very valuable for the money.
- PPC campaign tracking – Track your PPC advertising performance and get suggestions on how to improve your campaigns
- PPC Keyword Spying tool – Spy your competitors and steal their best performing campaigns
SpyFu offers three different plans for different needs. The basic plan costs $39 per month ($33 per month with annual billing) and more advanced plans cost up to $299 per month. For startups and growth companies the basic plan should be enough, but in case you need API or custom branded reporting, the more advanced plans might be needed.
Screaming Frog is propably the best tool for technical SEO. It is designed to crawl websites incredibly fast and give very extensive website audits. The tool works locally on your computer (It is a downloadable tool). All you need to do is to copy and paste your website URL and it starts to crawl your website.
- Website audit– Auditing feature helps you to identify all of your redirect chains, duplicate content, URLs, and much more.
- Sitemap – You can generate XML sitemaps properly.
- Metadata audit – With metadata auditing feature you can easily analyze all of your page titles, headers, meta descriptions, and much more. You can easily spot duplicate or missing metadata and export all of your reports with ease.
The best thing about Screaming Frog is that it’s completely free up to 500 URLs. If you have a small website, this is definitely worth checking. For larger websites you can purchase their paid plan, which costs £149 per year.
Long Tail Pro is an SEO keyword tool that helps to search the best keywords you want to rank for. Your market or niche doesn’t matter. Long Tail Pro covers them all. You can easily export all the data you need to plan and execute your SEO efforts. This is a great tool for small businesses and startups.
- Project management – Long Tail Pro allows you to manage several campaigns with ease. You can keep all of your campaigns well structured.
- Keyword suggestions – Long Tail Pro allows you to manage several campaigns with ease. You can keep all of your campaigns well structured.
Long Tail Pro has three plans. The starter plan is $25 per month, and more advanced plans are $45 and $98 per month. They offer also money-back guarantee, which gives you an opportunity to test the tool without any risk of losing your money.
SEObility is another all-in-one SEO solution which focuses purely on optimizing your search engine results. It gives you daily site update suggestions, link building tools and much more. It also helps you to find missed SEO pitfalls and gives suggestions to fix those.
- Rank tracking – With SEObility’s rank tracking feature you can easily track you SEO results based on different demographic data.
- On-page analysis – With On-page analysis, you get all the necessary improvement suggestions to optimize your on-page content and structure of the site.
- Advanced reports – You’ll get extensive PDF reports of all the ranking changes that are happening.
Seobility offers three plans. Their basic plan is completely free, having one project / domain and maximum of 1000 crawled pages per project. Premium and Agency plans have more capacity if needed. Seobility offers also a free 30-day trial for their Premium plan which is worth testing out.
Mangools is an all-in-one SEO tool that is a perfect choice if you’re looking for an affordable tool only for SEO purposes. It has all the necessary SEO tool features that you most likely need. No fluff or unwanted features. It has basically all the same features that you can find from SEMrush, but it is cheaper and simpler to use. However, in case you need valuable data from paid campaigns, this tool might not be the perfect match for your needs.
- Keyword research – With the keyword research tool you can easily search lucrative keywords in your market.
- SERP analysis – With the SERP analysis tool, you are able to track search engine result pages for specific keywords around the world. This is a very valuable feature since SEO work should always be planned for specific keywords that bring value for your business.
- Backlink analyzer – Mangools’ LinkMiner tool is used to analyze competitors’ backlink profiles and find new link building opportunities.
- Website analysis – With the analyzing tool you can easily spy your competitors’ website and how they perform. This is very valuable in case you are in a competitive market and facing SEO competition
As stated above, Mangools is very viable option for SEO needs. They have three different plans, starting from $29,90 per month. Again, the basic plan is more than enough for basic SEO needs. However, the more advanced plans aren’t too expensive if you need more capacity.
What about free SEO tools for startups?
The list above contains mostly paid tools. We know that most startups don’t have too much money to invest in marketing tool expenses, but it’s worth noting that everything has a price tag. It’s either time, money, or something else. In digital marketing, you really need to spend your time wisely, and these tools really help you to save massive amounts of time and sweat.
In case you still want to stick with free SEO tools, here is a list:
Outsourcing SEO or doing it in-house?
In case you got your hands full of work already, outsourcing SEO can be a viable option. However, an SEO professional can be pricy if you need extensive SEO work to be done. Often professional SEO experts invoice anything between $80-250 per hour. More extensive SEO packages can cost tens of thousands dollars per month, and often companies should consider hiring an in-house expert instead of buying these packages from companies that you don’t personally know.
In most cases, learning just essential SEO basics can be enough to do it all by yourself or by any marketing-savvy employee.
Conclusion – What really is the best SEO software for startups?
As you might know the answer, it really depends what you really need.
In our opinion, for startups, the best SEO solution would be one of the “all-in-one” tools. We highly recommend trying out SEMrush and it’s free trial. You can try it out for free and have a great grasp of what are its benefits for your business.